Thursday, December 8, 2011

Semester Ending Reflections-Part Two

With all the news as of late about the validity of hip hop in college or university classrooms and indeed the all out assault on liberal studies, I thought I would share some semester ending reflections from my students in AAAS-4451, "The Rhetoric of Hip Hop" class offered through the African American Studies program at the University of Memphis
Enjoy

by Donal Davis

By my participation in this course, I have gained greater insight into how others perceive hip hop. I felt that I already had a well grounded understanding of the history of hip hop and hip hop as culture, and the materials in this course have supplemented that body of knowledge and increased the nuance of my understanding.

What I gained the most from were the group discussions and targeted reflections. The discussion added scope and perspective to the topics presented. The reflections forced a directed introspection of hip hop culture regarding the topic of the week and my own experiences.

I am also encouraged by the great deal of scholarly consideration of hip hop as culture. The amount of material available and the increasing body of academic study of hip hop culture and society was a welcome surprise. While I have read books by Dyson and others, the level of depth of many of the materials presented during this course were eye-opening regarding the range and depth of scholarship that is being accomplished as it relates to hip hop.

It is ironic that the course that many look at my schedule and think is a fill in, was indeed the most thought provoking and engaging. As a Bio major and Chem minor this course also served to allow me to see greater value in liberal arts studies as a whole.

Patricia Fannon

I was enlightened by the social injustices which took place and the fact that hip hop helped to give a voice to so many people that otherwise would not be heard. I think the knowledge of the material presented has allowed me to see some issues in a different "light". For example, I never understood why poor neighborhoods would burn their community down and participate in riots as seen in LA in the 1990's Compton area. But after this class my view is that I can understand the frustration that must have been felt when people lack any type of power to change or improve their conditions. I often times, when social issues are discussed at work, find myself explaining the views of those I perceive to lack power and control.

Prior to this class I really thought that racism was in the mind of people but was a rare. However, now I can see the subtle policies, and control others exert on those that have the fewest resources and the most need. If I continued to take AAAS I believe I would have to become an activist, because this class has changed the way I think, and react to others opinions concerning the distribution of power in American. I really enjoyed this class, and never dreamed that it would be so insight full.

No comments:

Post a Comment